Photography, Film making and the Blues Harmonica.

Monday 3 October 2011

Last night's film 'S.F.W.'

It was getting late last night and as usual I couldn't sleep so I started my usual ritual of searching through the films showing on my Sky HD box. This night I stumbled across an unusual film called S.F.W.made in 1994. I'd never heard of it before but the synopsis intrigued me so I put it on and stayed awake until the credits rolled, which I guess is a good sign. It's a hard film to explain so I've nicked the plot summary from imdb because I'm lazy like that and my Dinner's ready soon.

 Cliff Spab is a guy who doesn't really care about anything. He gets held hostage at a store for 36 days by terrorists, who demand that the entire thing be broadcast on national television. Cliff ends up taking a bullet for fellow hostage Wendy - making him a national hero. The two are the sole survivors of the ordeal, and soon become prisoners of the media. Cliff escapes it all, only to find himself being pushed further away from Wendy when he needs her most
That's a pretty shit summary to be honest and I could do better if I had more time/motivation but I don't. Anyway the point of this post is that I liked the film and think more people should know about it, presuming that I wasn't the only person who had never heard of it before. It's definitely the kind of film I used to be into a few years back,  a View Askew kind of feel but not as many obvious and crude jokes. It even stars Joey Lauren Adams a Kevin Smith regular. The characters actually seem like real people who I'd quite like to hang out with and the story is pretty cool. This film in my opinion sums up the nineties and questions the ridiculous media obsessions in western popular culture in a way which kept me entertained and made me laugh. I recommend it to everyone, especially those who grew up in the nineties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...